Salem Baptist Memorial Inscriptions
The chapel was built and opened in June 1828, followed about 1834
by a Sunday school.
In 1837-38, the chapel was enlarged and the school building became
a house for the minister.
The first minister was John Jordan, who resigned in 1842.
Rev William Colcroft became minister in 1843, and resigned in June
The pulpit was supplied by students and others until 18th August1850,
when Rev James Hillyard became minister. He resigned in 1852.
The students from Horton College conducted services until 4th April
1858, when Rev. J. W. Stuart became minister.