The 1861 census in Bishop Thornton is covered by piece RG 9/3195,
Enumeration District 5, Folios 56 to 70.
The district contained 543 people on the day of the census.
The Enumerator was John Emerson Crowther.
The data is presented here in its original order. Schedule is the number
given to each separate household and is reproduced here to help show the whole
'The whole of the Township of Bishop Thornton comprising the village of Shaw Mills, Castel Ragg, Hatton House, Low Hollings, Black House, High Hollings, Woodfield House, Whinney Hill, Far Gillmore, High Gillmore, Lilliput Hall, Watergate, Raventofts Hall, Duke's Palace, St John's church, Throstle Nest, Wheelhouse Farm, Drovers Inn, Thornton Moor, Kettlespring, Booze Green, The Grove, Hardgate.'