The parochial affairs of the township were, for many generations, vested
in a Town's Committee, which I find to have been in existence more than
a century ago. The jurisdiction of this body was somewhat extensive,
judging from the number and variety of the resolutions which appear
in their "minute book." I learn that at a Committee meeting
held July 1st, 1771, it was ordered that "the Chapel Wardens and
Overseers of the Poor pay to the informer or informers of housebreakers,
garden or orchard robbers, gates, and stile breakers, etc., on conviction
the sum of two guineas.
The dog fanciers of that day had not much sympathy from the local authority,
for at a meeting of the Committee held July 9th, 1792, it was resolved,
that "any person having relief from the township of Pudsey, and
shall after the date hereof keep a dog, all such person or persons so
doing shall be excluded from any relief till such time as the said dog
or dogs are put away."
At a meeting of the Committee held March 18th, 1793, it was ordered
that "two shillings of each fresh subscriber towards having such
persons as are awanting in the Militia." At a meeting held on the
2nd of Dec., 1807, it was resolved that "William Hutchinson (who is
balloted for the Militia), be assisted with the requisite sum to hire
a substitute, by the Town, provided that the Township have the advantage
of receiving the sum of money which is to be returned according to the
Provisions of the Militia Act. N.B.---The above Indulgence and Assistance
is granted in consequence of his kindness to his father."
The following is a "List of the Militia hired for the Township
of Pudsey, 1803," and the substitutes named therein were sworn
in for five years, or during His Majesty's pleasure. The amount of bounty
given to each is named:
| John Hinchcliffe
|| James Whaley, Horton
||11 6 6
| Stephen Moorhouse
|| Willm. Rushforth, Closehead
||11 6 6
| John Sutcliffe, baker
|| John Wilson, Denham Cliff
||11 0 6
| James Hutchinson, R. Lane
|| Jos. Newall, Bradford
||10 10 6
| Joseph Nichol, School, Fulneck
|| Jonas Fix do.
||11 11 6
| James Liley do.
|| Joshua Ferrand, Manningham
||9 9 0
| Saml, Moss, Junr., Greenside
|| Michael Baistow, Illingworth
||10 6 6
| Charles Moss, Willm. Son
|| Willm. Turner, Wadsworth, nr. Hx
||10 10 6
| Martin Crowther
|| Jann. Simpson, Sticker Lane
||10 15 6
| Joshua Farrer, Hall
|| Robt. Stead, Bradford
||10 15 6
| John Webster, Lowtown
|| Joseph Pyrah, do.
|| 8 8 6
| Joshua Robinson, do
|| Willm. Gowan, Bierley Chapel
|| 9 6 6
| William Hemsley, do.
|| Isaac Stephenson, Bradford
|| 9 6 6
| Isaac Gledhill, Stanningley
|| Francis Simpson, Idle
|| 9 14 6
In 1809, a further ballot was necessary, and the following persons formed
the "Pudsey Supplementary Militia" for that year:
| Mark Wheater
|| Jo. Ward
|| 6 6 9
| John Whitfield
|| Israel Wood
|| 6 6 9
| Sam Wilson
|| William Varley
|| 6 6 9
| George Grave
|| Joseph Cockcroft, Allerton
|| 6 6 9
| William Boys
|| Jeremiah Moor, Thornton
|| 6 6 9
| Joseph Walton
|| Jehu Brear do.
|| 6 6 9
| George Harrison
|| John Benton do.
|| 6 6 9
| Charles Robinson
|| John Robinson do.
|| 6 6 9
| Joshua Gibson
|| John Broadbelt, Rawden
|| 6 6 9
| John Pape
|| John Leanc
|| 6 6 9
| Joshua Lumby
|| James Cockcroft, Thornton
|| 5 5 9
| Jonathan Ackeroyd
|| Adam Taylor
|| 6 6 9
| James Procter
|| Thomas Booth, Pudsey
|| 5 5 9
| Willm. Clark
|| Jno. Dufton do.
|| 6 6 9
| James Barns
|| Willm. Johnson do.
|| 5 5 9
| Jo. Brayshaw
|| Geo. Walton do.
|| 5 5 9
| Joshua Strickland
|| Willm. Sharp, Thornton
|| 6 6 9
| John Crampton
|| Caleb Jennings do.
|| 6 6 9
| Willm. Strickland
|| Jno. Drake do.
|| 6 6 9
| Willm. Threapleton
|| Elkanah Holroyd, Halifax
|| 5 10 9
| James Smith
|| Saml Bannister, Farsley
|| 3 3 9
| Jno. Carr
|| Joshua Hoyle, Halifax
|| 6 6 9
| Willm. Dyson
|| Geo. Farrer, Sowerby Bridge
|| 6 6 9
| Jno. Dufton
|| James Farrer
|| 5 5 9
| Jno. Pearson
|| Willm. Raistrick, Pudsey
|| 5 5 9
| Willm. Thornton
|| Moses Fieldhouse, Horton
|| 6 6 9
| William Robinson
|| David Hillam, Wibsey
|| 6 6 9
| Benjamin Dean
|| Christopher Binks
|| 5 5 9
| Jno. Booth
||" " "
| John Hammerton
||" " "
| Robert Procter
|| Thomas Hustler
|| 3 3 9
| Jonathan Harrison
||" " "
The first CHURCHWARDENS for Pudsey township, of whom there is any account,
were John Crossley and Thomas Whitley, who, in 1606, held that office.
The lists, dating from that time, are far from being complete, as will
be seen from the copies in the Appendix. These lists frequently have
appended to them the amount of the church rate for the year, the rates
varying from 2d. to 9d. and 1s. in the pound. At a meeting of the Town's
Committee held June 18th 1824, it was resolved that "the Churchwardens
be instructed to engage a proper person to instruct a number of persons
to ring, and that they do pay the sum of 10s. 6d. per week to him for
his services, and that the Churchwardens have the discretion of continuing
him as long as they think proper, and make a selection of proper persons."
In the following year it was resolved, that "the ringers have the
sum of seventeen pounds given to them, and two shillings per man for
hiring money per annum, and the ringers shall have the old ropes and
no other perquisities to be allowed by the Township." On the 6th
of January, 1826, a rate was laid "for the paying of Mr. Mears
his balance for the bells."
In 1826, at a vestry meeting held on the 13th October, it was resolved
that "a rate of one shilling and threepence in the pound be granted
to the Churchwardens for the current expenses of the year, and out of
it they be authorised to lay out L50 in heating the church. Secondly,
that in case any dispute should be raised, as to the validity of this
rate, the Churchwardens be authorized and required by this meeting to
take the necessary legal measures to compel the payment thereof without
calling any other meeting." D. Jenkins, chairman, H. Simons, Robt.
Parkinson, churchwardens and five others.
In 1836, the Rev. David Jenkins was incumbent, and Messrs. John Farrer
and William Beaumont, churchwardens when the celebrated "smiting
and brawling" case occurred, which resulted in William Clarkson
and Jonas Proctor being cited before the Ecclesiastical Court at York,
and sentenced-Mr. Clarkson to seven days' and Mr. Proctor to one month's
imprisonment. They endured the penalty rather than acknowledge the justice
of the charge brought against them. This event aggravated the feud existing
between the Churchpeople and the Dissenters, and yearly contests took
place in the election of churchwardens; the township was several times
polled and the rate resisted.
In 1845, at a meeting held on the 27th of March, for the election of
churchwardens, the incumbent, the Rev. D. Jenkins, having nominated
Mr. John Farrer of Grove House, for his warden. Mr. John Baker was then
proposed for the people's warden, but as an amendment, Mr. John Parkinson
was proposed for the office. The show of hands being declared to be
in favour of Mr. Parkinson, a poll was demanded, which was held and
continued open nine days. When the votes were counted, the numbers were
declared to be, for Mr. John Baker, 553; and for Mr. Parkinson, 488;
there being a majority for Mr. Baker of 45, he was declared duly elected.
From a "list of persons who have served as Constables for the township
of Pudsey," we learn that the maintenance of the peace from 1771,
when the list commences, until 1845, was vested in this officer, a most
important public functionary, who was elected annyally, his appointment
being subsequently confirmed by the Justices of the Peace. A "Town's
Committee" managed the general business of the township, and gave
their orders to the constable and other officials. From the old "Town's
Book," which was kept by the Committee as a record of their proceedings,
we learn that, at a meeting held October 17th, 1791, it was
Resolved that all persons from and after the day above written who shall
commit any misdemeanors such as robbery of gardens; hedges, gates, stiles
or other fences breaking; potatoes and turnips stealing, etc., which
shall be a prejudice to any of the inhabitants of the township of Pudsey;
he, she, or they so offending shall be prosecuted by the constable of
Pudsey at the expense of the town, provided the person or persons so
injured and the evidence to the facts are willing to proceed against
the offender or offenders according to law.
Amongst the duties pertaining to the constable was the custody of the
village stocks-the old time remedy for reforming swearers, gamblers,
drunkards, and desecrators of the Sabbath. This wooden machine stood
in Church Lane, and it was no unusual thing, fifty years ago, to see
it occupied during the time of service on Sundays, by some refractory
member of the community. It is said that the punishment was somewhat
severe to the back and ankles, for when prisoners were released they
had to rub these parts of their body vigorously before they could hobble
The following is as complete a list of the Constables as can be obtained-
||* * * *
||* * * *
||* * * *
||* * * *
||* * * *
||Christopher Verity and list
||William Calvert do.
||* * * *
||* * * *
||Benjamin Troughton do.
A serious disturbance of the peace of the township occurred in 1753,
in connection with the "Toll Bar Riots," which took place
in several districts in opposition to the introduction of Toll-bars;
at Leeds two or three were killed by the soldiers, and the following
refers to events which occurred at Pudsey and Fulneck at that time:--
On June 25th, 1753, between seven and eight o'clock a.m., a woman, who
was dignified with the office of Pudsey town-crier, made her appearance
in the quiet village of Fulneck, rang her bell vigorously, and then
proclaimed that the inhabitants were expected to join the people who
had risen for "King and country," adding that if this request
were not attended to, a visit would be paid to enforce the behests of
King Mob. Accordingly, at nine o'clock a multitude of about a hundred
men, women and children poured in, and insisted that the single brethren
should at once join them. Armed with clubs and staves, they rushed hither
and thither, shouting and blowing lustily on a horn. Brother Benjamin
La Trobe went among them, conversed in a friendly way, but quietly informed
them they need not expect to find there what they wanted; for, to join
them in their present doings would be contrary to the principles of
the Brethren. They lingered about the houses for a while, and then one
party went up to Tong, and presented themselves before Squire Tempest,
who gave them money and refreshments. Ere this party returned, five
or six of the leaders came again to the Brethren's house, and repeated
their demand. Brother La Trobe intimated that if the Brethren could
be helpful to them in any legal way it would gladly be done, but that
they could not approve of any such irregular proceedings, nor in any
wise abet those who took part therein. On his presenting them with half-a-guinea
they went away, pledging themselves that no damage should be done to
the settlement or its inhabitants. Soon after their withdrawal, the
other party returned from Tong, and when a meeting took place on the
Green, near the Low House, they concluded to make another attempt at
the Brethren's house, and deliberated also on the steps to be taken
in case of a refusal. Brother La Trobe, however, met them at the gate,
at the end of the lane, and after a hard talking match, prevailed upon
them to withdraw. They rushed off to Lane End, and conducted themselves there in a somewhat rough fashion. At last, finding they could not effect
their purpose, they left the neighbourhood, but first compelled those
who had accepted any money at Fulneck to return and deliver it up, declaring
they had not come for "brass" but only for "t'lads."
Still they held out the threat that after joining another body of sympathisers
who had been waiting for them beyond Pudsey, they would show their faces
again and let the "Fall neckers" see what they would do to
them. Thus they withdrew, not the slightest damage having been inflicted,
whilst in the settlement every heart and every mouth was filled with
praise to the Saviour for His protecting care. When in the evening the
poor misguided people reached their homes in Pudsey, some were in a
wretched condition, having been wounded in hands, arms, and shoulders,
when attacking a gentleman's house, which they intended pulling down.
Several of the mob had been prisoners, and were taken off to gaol; of
course this cast a gloom over the township, but it proved a wholesome
discouragement to the rioters.*
In 1860, Pudsey was included within the County Constabulary jurisdiction;
and subsequently the protective vigilance of the new police force was
introduced. Sergeant Land, and six officers were stationed in the township.
An important portion of the parochial affairs of the township was formerly
vested in the Overseers of the Poor, also annually elected at a town's
meeting, and the appointment confirmed by the magistrates. The first
item in the "Town's Book" relating to the overseers is to
the following effect: --
In the year 1736, Agnes Gibson left £40 for the benefit of the
poor of Pudsey, the interest to be given annually by the overseers.
At the Town's Committee Meeting, February 1st, 1766, Mr. Richard Hey,
"honest Mr. Hey," as he was called, who was one of the overseers
of the poor, was present. Mr. Hey died on the 24th of the same month,
aged 63. He was the father of William Hey, Esq., F.R.S., of Leeds; Rev.
John Hey, D.D., Norrisian Professor Divinity at Cambridge, etc.; Rev.
Samuel Hey, M.A., Fellow and Tutor of Magdalen College, Cambridge; and
Richard Hey, Esq., L.L.D., barrister, Fellow and Tutor of Sidney Sussex
Mr. John Radcliffe, Mr. Hey's son-in-law, attended the next Town's Committee
meeting as Mr. Hey's deputy.
About this time-1766-the entries in the book frequently end with-"Notice
to be given at both the Chapels." That would be the old Chapel-All
Saints"-and the Dissenters' Chapel or Meeting-house, both in Chapeltown.
Previous to the year 1700, poor laws were unknown in Pudsey, and after
the Government had passed these measures, Pudsey for more than a century
continued to deal with its own poor, and the amount required for their
relief was collected in small sums or leys, from the ratepayers in the
township. At a meeting of the "Town's Committee," held Feby.
1st 1802, it was resolved to "discontinue the poorhouse, the occupants
to be disposed of as soon as possible," and at the next meeting,
held Feby. 15th 1802, an agreement was made with John Cooper, the elder,
of Littlemoor, "to board the paupers residing in the poorhouse
for one year, to commence on the
first day of March, 1802, and likewise to find fire for them at the
rate of three shillings per week per head, to have their earnings for
his own benefit-the poor to have two meat dinners per week, and likewise
to be under the inspection of the Committee to see they be well kept."
The rateable value of the township of Pudsey as rated for the relief
of the poor according to a new valuation made in May, 1806, was £4,175
* From "The Messenger", a Magazine of the Church of the United
Brethren, "May, 1870, pp. 156-8. Editor, Rev. C.E.Sutcliffe, a
native of Pudsey.
In consequence of the great distress which existed amongst the labouring
poor in the year 1816, it was resolved at a Town's Committee meeting
held on Nov. 20th, "that the respective ministers in the place
be requested to preach charity sermons for the relief of the poor, in
order to enable them to apply to the Society in London for their assistance."
Many of the inhabitants were employed in repairing the roads in the
township, which were then in a bad state, and a subscription was made
also to assist in the relief of the destitute poor. £62 1s. 3d.
was collected, the subscription being headed by the Rev. D. Jenkins
with £3; the Rev. C.F. Ramitler, £2; Mr. Lawton of Fulneck,
£2; children in Fulneck School, £3; Jer. Haley and Co.,
£2; Rich. Farrer, £2; Mr. John Skelton, £2; Richard
Farrer, stapler, £2; Mr. Thackeray, £2; William Ellwand, £1,
At a public meeting of the ratepayers, held June 18th, 1819, it was
resolved "that a Select Vestry be appointed for superintending
the management of the poor and the Township of Pudsey." Amongst
the sixteen persons appointed for the first said vestry were the Rev.
D. Jenkins and Thomas Laird, Messrs. John Radcliffe, Lepton Dobson,
John Balme, Christian Hanneman, William Ellwand, etc.
As complete a list as possible of the Overseers from 1743 to 1887 is
given in the Appendix, and we trust that our readers will not consider
this lest as a mere dry catalogue of names, devoid of any interest.
It is an enumeration of the oldest families in the township for a period
of close upon a century and a half, and as such, is of historic value.
By it, many descendants of the persons named, may trace their ancestry
back to the middle of the last century, and in the list will be found
many of the old names which exist amongst us at present.
In connection with the office of overseer it will be interesting to
note that all the respectable inhabitants of Pudsey were, at one time,
bound to take apprentices (with whom they received a small premium),
or pay a fine of £10.
At a meeting of the Town's Committee, Feb. 18th, 1799, it was "Ordered
from and after this day no less than fifteen pounds shall be paid by
any person within the township of Pudsey in lieu of taking a parish
Amongst the persons who took apprentices we find:--
James Atkinson, Feb. 21st, 1765.
Mr. Dobson, July 4th, 1768.
Mr. Waiblinger*, June 7th, 1788.
David Johnson, Manchester, Feb. 22, 1792.
Christian Hanneman, August 12, 1793.
Christopher Plischke, Feb. 8, 1794.
* Mr. Waiblinger died, in 1817, and the following notice of him appears
in the obituary of the Gentleman's Magazine for 1817, p. 187:-- "Feb.
3, Mr. Ignatius Waiblinger, of Pudsey, an eminent surgeon, and a man
highly and universally respected." A paragraph in the Leeds Mercury
of Feb. 8th, 1817, says:--"On Monday last, Feb. 3, Mr. Ignatius
Waiblinger, surgeon, of Pudsey, late of Fulneck. As a surgeon he ranked
very high, as those upon whom he has performed operations can bear ample
testimony. He was an affectionate husband and a tender parent. His loss
is deeply felt by his family and relations, and a numerous circle of
Richd. Birdsall, Yeadon, who took three, Nov. 5, 1794
Mr. John Hird, Masham, who took six, May 2, 1796
Mr. Dawson Humble, Doncaster, who took eleven in 1798
From 1765 to 1802, two hundred and twelve children were put out as town's
apprentices, and eighteen persons paid a fine of £10 each in lieu
of taking apprentices during the same period.
Amongst the persons who paid in lieu of having an apprentice, I find-
Ignatius Waiblinger, who paid £10 in lieu, July 28th, 1790
The Rev. Thomas Grinfield, paid £10, October 26th, 1795
Mr. Thomas Angell, paid ten pounds, Nov. 10, 1800
Mr. Wideman do. do. do.
The list of Highway Surveyors for Pudsey begins in 1770, when Matthew
and John Hutchinson were the officials. Two surveyors continued to serve
the township until the year 1815, when a Board was appointed, but it
only lasted one year. In 1836, another Board, consisting of ten persons
was elected, with George Hepworth as assistant, at £50 per annum,
and in the succeeding year the number of members was increased to thirteen,
with John Farrer as assistant, at £50 per annum. This Board continued
until 1872, the number of members varying from twelve to seventeen,
William Walton holding the post of assistant surveyor from the year
1843. A list of the surveyors, from 1770 to 1836, with a few exceptions,
will be found in the Appendix.
In 1710, the "Intakes" were enclosed by consent of John Milner,
Esq., Walter Calverley, Esq., and the freeholders of Pudsey, the proceeds
going towards the augmentation of the living attached to the old Chapel-of-Ease.
Tyersal Common was taken in about the year 1758. An act for enclosing
the common lands in Pudsey was passed in 1811. The Common lands included
about four hundred acres. Charles Milner, Esq., was lord of the manor,
and as such was entitled to all the minerals under the waste lands;
Thomas Thornhill, Thomas Plumbe, John Radcliffe, and Francis Maude,
Esqrs., being owners of estates and entitled to rights of common. The
award of the Commissioners is kept at Calverley Church.
In 1813, the Common lands were enclosed, under the Act of Parliament,
entitled "An Act for inclosing lands in the manor or Pudsey, in
the West Riding of the County of York." The following is a copy
of the notice relating to the enclosure-
I, Jonathan Teal, the sole Commissioner appointed in and by the said
Act of Parliament, do hereby give notice, that in addition to the Public
Carriage Roads and other Roads already by me set out and appointed,
I have set out and appointed the following Public Roads, Bridleways,
Private Carriage Roads, and Footways, through and over the said Lands,
directed by the said Act to be divided, allotted and inclosed, that
is to say-
Wood Wells Road-One Private Carriage Road of the width of twelve feet,
beginning at Bramley Road on Crimbles Green, and proceed northward over
part of Crimbles Green to the Wood-Wells, set but for a public Watering
Dryhouse Road- 18ft. Town End to the Wood-Wells, Private
Langley Road- Crimbles, Private
Balme Road-Crimbles Green, Private
Midley Road-Balme Road and Crimbles Green, Private
Milner Road-20ft. Stanningley Road on Rickardshaw Common [probably Primrose
Mill Road-20ft. Stanningley Road westward, Rickardshaw Common [probably
Pearson Road-Crimbles Road to westward and southward.
Dyson Road-15ft. Mill Road to northward, bottom Rickardshaw.
Sodom Road-24ft. Workhouse Road to Littlemoor Road.
Mill Stead Road-20ft. Sodom.
Rayner Road-15ft. Beginning in an allotment on Little Moor aforesaid,
intended to be awarded to Henry Rayner and proceeding westward over
an allotment intended to be awarded to John Bower, Esq., to an ancient
inclosure adjoining to the last mentioned allotment belonging to the
said Henry Rayner.
Moor Side Road-15ft. Littlemoor Road.
Driver Road-18ft. Littlemoor Road
Farrer Road-12ft. Northend Littlemoor Road, eastward over allotment
of Charles Milner, Esq. To dyehouse belonging to Sam. Farrer.
Gawthorpe Road-15ft. beginning at Chapeltown Road, and proceeding westward
over part of Littlemoor.
Beaumont Road-15ft. Sodom Road, south-eastward to land belonging to
Thomas Richard Beaumont, Esq.
Intack Road-24ft. north end, Alcoats Road, northward.
Delphend Road-24ft. Gibraltar Mill Road to Bradford Road.
Upper Moor Road-24ft. to land to be awarded to Fulneck estate.
Ward Road-15ft. Delfend Road, east, west and south.
Smalewell Road-16ft. Tiersal Road.
Quarry Road-24ft. Tiersal Road, northward to Stone Quarry.
Dobson Road-20ft. Tiersal Road, near Black Heygate [named from Lepton
Belley Well Syke Road-24ft. Banks Road.
Pinebelly Hill Road-24ft.
Preston Road-18ft. beginning Bradford Road, near Chapeltown.
Clayton Road-15ft. Bankhouse Road.
Upper Greenside Road-20ft. Fartown, westward.
Middle Road-18ft. up Greenside Road to Tiersal Road.
Hinchcliffe Road-16ft. Tiersal Road, northward Greenside.
Sizinghouse Road-14ft. Tiersal Road, Greenside, northward and eastward
to Greenside Road.
Jumbleswell Road-20ft. Tiersal Road to Jumbleswell.
Twelve public foot-paths are also mentioned.
And I do hereby give further Notice,
That all the said Roads and Public Footways are set out, and that I
have prepared a map, signed by me, in which such Roads and Public Footways
are accurately laid down and described and deposited the same with Messrs.
Hailstone and Bentley, at Bradford; for the inspection of all Persons
And I do hereby appoint a meeting, to be held at the House of Mrs. Walesby,
the Fulneck Inn, on Monday the 5th day of April next, at which meeting
any Person who may be injured or aggrieved by the setting out of such
Roads and Public Footways, may attend and make his or her objections
thereto. Dated this 23rd day of Feb., 1813.
In 1872, the supervision of the highways, along with other responsible
duties connected with the general management of the town's affairs,
were vested in a Board formed under the Local Government Act. Previous
to that, in July, 1868, a Lighting Board was formed, and soon after,
the streets, the darkness of which had been a reproach to the town,
were lighted with gas. At a meeting of the ratepayers, held on the 24th
day of April, 1872, it was resolved that the Local Board should consist
of fifteen members, and the voting papers containing the names of 105
ratepayers, who had been proposed as fit and proper persons for members
of the Board, were distributed on the 27th day of May, and collected
on the 31st. They were then cast up, and the following persons were
afterwards declared duly elected as members of the first Board: -- Mr.
William Huggan, Robert Dalby, Thomas Goodall, John Blackburn, John Whitfield,
Phineas Craven, Fred. Cooper, Robert Salter, John Whitehead, William
Dibb Scales, John Procter, Benjamin Elsworth, Thomas Wright, Benjamin
Crowther, and George A. Jones. Mr. W.D. Scales was elected chairman,
Mr. W. Craven, treasurer, and Mr. John Baker, clerk, highway surveyor,
lamp and nuisance inspector and rate collector, at a salary of £90
The proceedings of the Board from its formation to the present time,
have been watched with much interest by the ratepayers, and their public
acts have undergone much criticism, but, after being in operation fifteen
years, it may safely be said that the step taken in 1872, was wise and
In February, 1882, the Local Board passed a resolution authorising the
surveyor to proceed with the building of offices suitable for the work
of the Board. In the following October possession was taken of the new
offices, which are situate in Crawshaw-field. They are two storeys in
height, and are entered by a capacious doorway, over which is a semi-circular
headstone, on which is carved "Local Board Offices, 1882".
At the entrance is a hall from which the stairs ascend into the upper
storey. On the ground floor, next to the entrance hall, is the office
for the use of the clerk and collector, etc. This is a very roomy and
well lighted place, and is well adapted for its purpose. Along one side
is a counter, with mahogany top, at the furthest end of which is a desk
for the use of the collector. In the centre of the room is a table for
the clerk's use, and along one entire side of the room are cupboards
and drawers, in the centre of which is fixed a large safe. A fire-place
with dark marble mantel, and gas brackets, together with the usual office
furniture and requisites, complete this office. It measures 15 by 20
feet. The next room on the ground floor is the committee room, which
is also 15 by 20 feet, and is furnished with large centre tables and
chairs, etc., and is a well lighted apartment. This room has a doorway
and light into the large store yard adjoining. Along the northern side
of the yard are premises for the safe keeping of the tools belonging
to the Board, and in the yard is also erected a substantial engine house,
in which to stable the steam roller, with working shed in the rear,
the whole covering an area of 50 by 30 yards, and having a fence wall
on the south side. The upper storey of the offices is reached by a good
winding stone staircase, having three short flights of steps, at the
top of which is a landing, from which entrance is obtained into a large
room, which is used for the meetings of the full Board. This is a well
proportioned and capitally lighted place, having an area of 52 by 22
feet. In addition to a centre table for the clerk's use, there are three
long tables of pitch-pine arranged around the room on the outer sides of which sit the members, all facing the inner table and the chairman,
who occupies a slightly elevated position. This room is also furnished
with arm chairs, and is lighted by three windows, four-light centre
chandelier and eight side gas brackets. There is also a substantial
dark marble mantelpiece and open fire-grate in this room, in addition
to other suitable fittings. Every room is warmed by a heating apparatus.
Altogether the building is a roomy and substantial one, well adapted
for its purposes, which it will serve for many years to come.
The present members of the Local Board (1887-8) are, Messrs. R. Womersley
(chairman), John Brayshaw, Matthew Walker, John Halliday, J.E. Hinings,
John Milner, George Clough, Isaac Waterhouse, Joseph Webster, Christopher
Wilson, Simeon Carr, J.E. Goodall, William Nichols, Robert Smith, and Benjamin
Verity. Mr. Benjamin Dufton is Clerk to the Board; Dr. John Wilson,
medical officer; Mr. Joseph Town, inspector of nuisances; Mr. John Baker,
collector and lighting inspector; and Mr. Isaac Wood, highway surveyor,
building inspector, and superintendent of fire brigade.
On the 13th day of March, 1870, a Burial Board was formed at a meeting
of the ratepayers held in the Public Hall, and a resolution was also
passed to the effect "that a new burial ground shall be provided
for the township of Pudsey under the various Burial Acts passed for
that purpose up to the present time." The following ratepayers
were elected to form the first Board:-- Messrs. R. Womersley, William
D. Scales, Joseph Town, J.S. Jones, J. Asquith Hinings; Robert Salter,
W.H. Greaves, James Banks, and George Armitage. The resolutions of the
meeting having received the approval of the Secretary of State, at the
first meeting of the Board, Mr. Richard Womersley was elected chairman,
and Mr. Joseph Town, secretary pro. tem.
The question of a site for the proposed cemetery formed a bone of contention
for some years, and much bitter feeling was aroused on this serious
question of a quiet resting-place for the dead. The Burial Board, after
casting about for a site, thought the present one in Back Lane very
suitable, and called a meeting on the 7th May, 1870, at which the site
was submitted to the ratepayers. It was, however, rejected on sanitary
grounds, and a poll was demanded by the Burial Board, which resulted
in 998 ratepayers voting for the adoption of the side and 1,197 against
it. Two cemeteries were then suggested by the Burial Board, one at Back
Lane and the other at Quarry Gap. A site at Plantation, Gibraltar, was,
however, started in opposition, as being more central both for Pudsey
and Tyersal, and another poll took place on the 21st June in the same
year, resulting as follows: -- For the Back Lane and Tyersal sites,
978; for Plantation, 1,083. The latter site was, however, disapproved
at a town's meeting held on the 12th October, 1871; and in December
the Back Lane site was again put forward by the Burial Board, to be
in turn rejected. Upon this the Board demanded another poll, which was
taken in March, 1872; the numbers being---For Back Lane, 980; against
it 954. The site was thus carried by 26 votes, a decision which remained
unchallenged. The site was finally approved by the Home Secretary in
June 1872. It was purchased from Messrs. Farrer, of Pudsey, and contains
nearly twelve acres.
The Cemetery occupies a commanding position, and from it a very extensive
prospect is obtained. The Local Board have doubled the width of Back
Lane up to the Cemetery; the surface of the ground is more or less regular,
having a fall of forth-five feet to Back Lane, and the Cemetery is laid
out in an attractive and suitable manner, befitting a place of sepulture.
The area of the consecrated side is 21.633 square yards, and of the
unconsecrated portion 24,054 yards, while 8,277 yards of the front to
Back Lane is unappropriated. The design is simple, but effective. A
roadway, 21 feet wide, leads from the entrance in Back Lane to an oval
flat in the centre of the grounds, and winds round each side of the
oval with a width of 30 feet, to the chapels, the road being continued
forward to the southern extremity of the cemetery, but is here on 18
feet in width. The walks branching off from the road are respectively
9 feet and 12 feet wide. A deep drain is carried underneath the central
road, communicating with three cross drains, which effectually drain
the place. The cemetery is surrounded with a stone wall. On the inner
side are plantations, at the angles of the walks are shrubberies and
flower beds, and the central road is planted with forest trees to form
an avenue. Back Lane has been widened, and the cemetery wall fronting
it will be finished with a hedge inside the grounds. The entrance gates
are depressed, and are flanked with dwarf walls and palisadings, the
piers of the gates being substantial. The Registrar's house and Board
room are on the west side; the design is in the Gothic style. The same
style is adopted in the chapels, which are coupled together by a massive
tower and spire, surmounted by a vane; the total height of this conspicuous object is 110 feet, the extreme length of the chapels and tower is 116
feet, and they form an imposing block of buildings set upon a terrace
8 feet in height, and on the highest part of the grounds. The two chapels
are of the same size. A neat doorway gives access to the interior; on
each side of the entrance is a one-light window, with a circular window
in the gable, the latter topped with a stone cross. The tower base is
pierced with a lofty archway, 26 feet in height by 13 feet wide. Over
this is a belfry and the spire. The hearse can be driven under the archway,
and the body is taken into a mortuary, separated from the chapels by
a glass screen. Both chapels and mortuaries are well lighted with windows
in the sides, and the chapels have large three-light windows in the
south gables, each chapel having chancels and vestries. The work throughout
is of a substantial character. Mr. John Senior, of Harlow Heath, near
Harrogate, laid out the grounds under Mr. Gay's (the architect) superintendence,
and the latter gentleman has also superintended the planting, the work
throughout being creditable to all concerned. The ground is well adapted
for burial purposed and Pudsey may be congratulated upon having got
rid of a difficulty and secured one of the most compact cemeteries in
the district. The cost was about £10,000. The east side of the
cemetery is set apart for burial purposes in connection with the Church
of England, and this portion was consecrated on the 8th day of June,
1875, by the Right Rev. Dr. Ryan, representing the Lord Bishop of Ripon.
The first interment took place on June 9th, 1873, when a child aged
about two years, the daughter of Mr. G.V. Bannister, of Lowtown, was
interred in the unconsecrated portion.
GAS COMPANY--- The Act for lighting Pudsey with gas was obtained in
1844, on the representation that it would be of great advantage to the
inhabitants of the township, if a constant and ample supply of gas was
obtainable for lighting mills, manufactories, shops, houses, and other
buildings, and it would also be of advantage to them and to the public
resorting to Pudsey if a sufficient supply of gas were provided for
lighting the streets, roads, highways, and public passages within the
township. Nearly a quarter of a century elapsed before any steps were
taken to carry out the lighting of the streets. In June, 1868, a meeting
was held in the Public Room, when it was resolved to apply the powers
of the Act, so far as it applied to lighting up the streets with gas
of that portion of the township, which was separate and apart from the
hamlet of Tyersall. A Lighting Board was appointed, consisting of nine
persons, Mr. Joseph Newell being appointed secretary to the Board, and
Samuel Varley, Esq., the treasurer. The streets were lighted in October
of the same year. The original subscribed capital of the Gas Company
was £16,000, increased in 1856 to £58,000, including borrowing
powers to extent of £10,000.
WATERWORKS COMPANY. --- In 1865, the Calverley District Waterworks Company
was formed for the purpose of supplying Pudsey and four other townships
with water to be obtained from the Bradford Corporation. Samuel Varley,
Esq., was appointed chairman of the company, and George Hinings, Esq.,
deputy-chairman. The first pipe of the high level scheme was laid by
Mr. E. Sewell, of Fulneck, on Monday, June 12th, 1865. The share capital
of the company was £20,000, in 4,000 shares of £5 each.
The company has had a prosperous career.